The Law Offices of James A. Cuddy, LLC

Why you should use a parenting time expeditor

If you have a parenting time order and you are having difficulty with the other parent, chances are that you are thinking about going back to court to have it modified. After all, if the other parent is not following the order, or you are being unfairly denied parenting time, you should be able to get a remedy. However, getting an additional court order is not so easy; partly because it takes time to get in front of a judge, and the expense of filing a motion and going to court may be a burden.

Because of this, your parenting time decree may contain a provision directing you to take parenting time disputes to a parenting time expeditor before coming back to court. An expeditor is a neutral third party that has the authority to listen to statements (or review evidence) and resolve disputes. Of course, the expeditor does not take the place of a family court judge (as they cannot issue orders or modify current orders). However, they can help parties resolve disagreements much quicker than a judge can; hence the term “expeditor.”

If your parenting time order does not call for an expeditor, it may be possible to ask the court to appoint one. With an agreement to include one, the order could be modified as such without a hearing. With the holiday season coming up, having an expeditor could turn out to be a good idea.

If you have further questions about how these people work and how they can help, contact an experienced family law attorney. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

The Law Offices of James A. Cuddy, LLC
525 Bridgeport Avenue, Suite 201 Shelton, CT 06484
· Toll Free: 866-785-4409 · Phone: 203-583-8256 · Fax: 203-513-8673 ·  Shelton Law Office Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, part of Thomson Reuters.