Call To Find Your Way Forward 203-583-8256

The Law Offices of James A. Cuddy, LLC

Call To Find Your Way Forward 203-583-8256

Call To Find Your Way Forward 203-583-8256

Direct, Honest And Fair Family Law Solutions

Modifying alimony orders in Connecticut

On Behalf of | Mar 17, 2015 | Alimony

There are certain situations that may arise after an alimony order has been in place for some time that necessitate a modification. In the event that a substantial change in circumstances has occurred since the original order, a Connecticut family court may suspend, reduce, modify or terminate alimony as it sees fit.

Either party may file a motion to modify alimony with the court. Parties may stipulate to a proposed modification or litigate the issue. Any modification ordered by the court will not be retroactively applied, meaning the paying parent will still be responsible for any alimony payment amounts that are owed at the time of the modified order.

The court may act to modify, suspend, terminate or reduce alimony in the event the paying spouse shows the court that the recipient spouse is living with another person and that living arrangement has changed his or her financial circumstances to such a degree as to warrant a modification. If the court is presented with an agreement to modify alimony signed by both parties, the court will order a modification according to its terms. The new order will apply going forward.

It is possible to seek and obtain a modification of spousal support in some cases. People seeking such a modification will need to be able to prove to the court that such a change is warranted by their circumstances. Those who wish to seek such a change may want to seek the help of a family law attorney who can draft a motion that is legally supportable and can advocate on behalf of the client in order to seek such a change.

Source: Connecticut General Assembly, “Chapter 815j, Dissolution of marriage, legal separation and annulment “, accessed on March 16, 2015