The Law Offices of James A. Cuddy, LLC
Menu Contact
Call To Find Your Way Forward
Direct, Honest And Fair Family Law Solutions
View Our Practice Areas

Shelton Family Law Blog

These tips could help get the best divorce settlement possible

Like most other Connecticut spouses, you got used to a certain standard of living during your marriage. Now that it is ending, you fear that you will struggle financially. While it is true that some financial changes are inevitable, you can work to get the best possible settlement.

Not all divorces deal with child custody issues, but all of them do deal with the division of property and other financial issues. It may feel callous, but when it comes down to it, approaching the divorce process as dissolving a business and putting aside your feelings regarding your soon-to-be ex-spouse could help you meet that goal.

Health implications of a gray divorce

For individuals in Connecticut and elsewhere who are going through a gray divorce, the psychological and physical health impacts can be major, especially if they had previous health problems. However, these health impacts should be considered since divorce rates for those who are 50 years of age or older have nearly doubled since 1990.

In some cases, people who get a divorce after the age of 50 may experience psychological conditions such as depression, anxiety and chronic stress. Individuals who were in abusive relationships may even endure post-traumatic stress disorder, which can cause symptoms such as nightmares or flashbacks. Furthermore, psychological conditions can be linked to physical problems. Chronic stress, for example, can be linked to heart disease, insomnia and high blood pressure.

Issues that often spark marital problems and divorce

Like most Connecticut married couples, you and your spouse have likely encountered challenges in your relationship at some point. Even newlyweds sometimes find they're not getting along as well as they'd hoped. In fact, some couples argue on their honeymoons. It's part of marriage to have ups and downs in a relationship. However, certain issues or problems may prove more difficult to resolve than others.

If you've determined that your relationship is no longer sustainable, you may be among those in Connecticut who file for divorce this year. While no two situations are exactly the same, you may find that you relate to other people's experiences, even regarding the issues that led to your wanting a divorce. You may also find that talking to others who have gone through similar circumstances can help provide resources that help build a strong support network as you navigate life changes divorce often prompts.

Tips for responsible social media use during divorce

Connecticut couples who want a stronger marriage might want to consider cutting back on their social media usage. A study conducted by researchers at Boston University and several other organizations found a correlation between higher social media use and lower marital quality. People who are thinking about divorce or going through a divorce might also want to cut back on social media postings.

It is better to turn to relatives, friends or a therapist to vent about the divorce instead of putting negative posts on social media. People should also avoid sharing details about the divorce negotiations or final agreement. Spouses who are divorcing amicably might want to make an agreement about when they will discuss the divorce online. If there are kids involved, parents may want to include guidelines in the divorce agreement about whether children's photos or other information will be allowed on social media. Above all, people should keep in mind that any information they put online could be used against them in the divorce.

Is money disappearing from your account during divorce?

When you decided to file for divorce in a Connecticut court, you knew it would affect not only your own life but your children's as well. You also believed, however, that, with the proper guidance and strong support network in place, you and your kids would be able to leave the past behind and move on to a new lifestyle in as healthy a manner as possible.

You had hoped that your spouse would cooperate and compromise, as necessary, to achieve a fair settlement and co-parenting plan. You now suspect he or she isn't playing by the rules regarding marital assets. Perhaps you've noticed certain signs that your spouse might be trying to hide assets, so you don't get them when the judge issues a property division ruling. It's critical that you understand your rights and know where to seek support to help protect your interests.

Post-divorce care for children

The aftermath of a divorce can be difficult for children to handle as they try to become adjusted to a new life. However, there are some things that parents in Connecticut can do to protect their children after a divorce and ensure that they are able to enjoy their new life.

Parents should keep in mind that their children are not adults and should be provided an environment that allows them to be children. Parents should make every effort to refrain from burdening their children with adult communications or responsibilities.

Protecting separate property during a divorce

Twice as many millennials are keeping their finances separate after marriage compared to baby boomers and Gen X, and that's not the only difference. Some Connecticut millennial couples may be among the growing number who are also making sure they have a prenuptial agreement in place prior to marriage. The American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers reports that these are on the rise in general across all age groups but particularly with millennials.

Experts say that for couples who are worried about protecting their finances after a divorce, a prenup offers more protection than separate accounts. In an equitable property state like Connecticut, money earned by each spouse is usually considered to be the property of each individual. However, it is possible for an attorney to argue for this being marital property in some situations, and if this happens, the property could be divided equitably. This means a judge will attempt to divide the property fairly, which does not necessarily mean it will be divided 50/50.

Dealing with student loans during a divorce

Debts taken on during the course of a marriage are generally considered part of the marital estate, and they are divided as part of a divorce just like assets are. This can lead to bitter disputes when the debts in question are student loans. Divorcing spouses may resent making payments on loans that helped their former husbands or wives to attend college, and in states with equitable distribution laws they may not have to. Connecticut is one of these states.

Some states have community property laws that require marital assets and debts to be divided equally, but the rules in Connecticut allow for unequal distribution if such an arrangement is more equitable. When deciding how to deal with student loans, judges in equitable distribution states will consider how much each of the spouses involved earns, whether or not the spouse who did not attend college supported the spouse who did and whether or not the spouse who attended college graduated with a degree. Judges will also study the loan documents to seen who signed them.

Can I refuse to comply with court-ordered visitation?

You may have heard many people say that having a child changes you. Perhaps you felt some of those changes after your child was born. Maybe you no longer enjoyed those reckless activities you once looked forward to, and maybe you had a new purpose in life.

When you became involved in a custody battle with the child's other parent, you undoubtedly went through many emotions. Like many parents in similar situations, you wanted full custody. The court order that granted you legal custody and gave visitation to your former partner may have been difficult to accept, especially if you and the other parent no longer get along. You may wonder now if you have to abide by that order.

What should you address in your parenting plan?

With everything you have to deal with during a divorce, your number one priority probably involves making sure your children move into their new lives with as little stress as possible. You and the other parent have the unique opportunity to create their future through your parenting plan.

When you sit down with the other parent to design this agreement, you want to make sure that you hit all of the important points. While you need to address their immediate needs for the next couple of years, you may also be able to include some flexibility to adjust the schedule as they grow and their needs change. The problem is knowing what issues to address.

Email Us For A Response

Take The First Step

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

The Law Offices of James A. Cuddy, LLC

525 Bridgeport Avenue
Suite 201
Shelton, CT 06484

Toll Free: 866-785-4409
Phone: 203-583-8256
Fax: 203-513-8673
Shelton Law Office Map