Call To Find Your Way Forward 203-583-8256

The Law Offices of James A. Cuddy, LLC

Call To Find Your Way Forward 203-583-8256

Call To Find Your Way Forward 203-583-8256

Direct, Honest And Fair Family Law Solutions

How may a child’s joint custody plan change?

Divorce in Connecticut could involve negotiating a minor child’s custody arrangements. The family law statutes generally presume that a child’s best interests depend on a couple taking joint custody. Accordingly, the court may award legal custody to both parents, as noted on the Connecticut General Assembly’s website.

Shared legal custody may not include a specific court order for sharing a child’s physical custody. Divorcing spouses, however, may create a customized parenting plan. Parents may divide their responsibilities concerning a child’s physical custody and residence. A plan may, for example, include a calendar for taking physical custody to reflect each parent’s work schedule. It may outline holiday and vacation preferences, and it could also undergo changes.

Joint legal custody and shared physical custody

With joint legal custody, each ex-spouse may provide input when making decisions on behalf of a minor child. Joint legal custody provides both parents with the right to discuss or interfere with issues that affect a child’s upbringing, education and medical care. By creating a parenting plan, you and your ex-spouse could include these issues and how to resolve disputes.

When discussing an arrangement for shared physical custody, you and your ex-spouse may create a customized schedule. Your plan may also describe each parent’s responsibilities when taking physical custody of a minor child.

Changes to a plan may not require a judge’s input

If you or your ex-spouse need to change an established custody or parenting plan, you may do so on your own. According to the State of Connecticut Judicial Branch website, ex-spouses may resolve their differences regarding shared parenting plans outside of a courtroom.

Parents of minor children may negotiate and revise their custody and parenting arrangements without a judge’s intervention. After discussing and agreeing upon changes, you may then submit a modification to a court’s custody order.