Call To Find Your Way Forward 203-583-8256

The Law Offices of James A. Cuddy, LLC

Call To Find Your Way Forward 203-583-8256

Call To Find Your Way Forward 203-583-8256

Direct, Honest And Fair Family Law Solutions

Enforcing a court-ordered divorce decree

On Behalf of | Jun 24, 2022 | Blog, Divorce

Court orders during a divorce are legally binding. However, spouses do not always comply with the mandate. If you and your spouse have children together, the court orders become even more critical because your child’s well-being is at stake.

If you worry about your spouse complying with the divorce decree or already struggling with an ex-spouse, continue reading this article. You have legal tools at your disposal to enforce the order.

Filing for contempt

Contempt is the fundamental process that upholds court orders. In Connecticut, you can file a motion for contempt if the spouse does not pay for child or spousal support. Additionally, if your ex-spouse refuses to follow the parenting plan, you can file for contempt. Sometimes spouses believe they deserve more parenting time or that the amount of support they pay is unfair. Remember, the court-ordered decree is a legal contract, and it does not matter what either of you thinks once the trial concludes. It is difficult to appeal a court-ordered divorce settlement.

Potential sanctions against your spouse

If the court finds your spouse guilty of contempt, they might receive a warning at first. Sometimes the contempt is so severe that the judge imposes some sanction immediately. Punishments might include paying for attorney’s fees or other expenses from the divorce process.

You want to move on with your life after a divorce. Unfortunately, ex-spouses sometimes make transitioning difficult by refusing to comply with a court-ordered divorce arrangement. If you let them get away with their noncompliance, it only gets harder to enforce the court order as time goes on.